TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
- Fix partition table, recover deleted partition
- Recover FAT32 boot sector from its backup
- Rebuild FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 boot sector
- Fix FAT tables
- Rebuild NTFS boot sector
- Recover NTFS boot sector from its backup
- Fix MFT using MFT mirror
- Locate ext2/ext3/ext4 Backup SuperBlock
- Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2 filesystem
- Copy files from deleted FAT, exFAT, NTFS and ext2/ext3/ext4 partitions.
TestDisk has features for both novices and experts. For those who know little or nothing about data recovery techniques, TestDisk can be used to collect detailed information about a non-booting drive which can then be sent to a tech for further analysis. Those more familiar with such procedures should find TestDisk a handy tool in performing onsite recovery.
TestDisk is default avaiable in Ubuntu Software Center, just search and install it.
For others, download from this page.
To recover a lost partition or repair the filesystem from a hard disk, USB key, Smart Card, etc. TestDisk need root privilege, run it via:
To recover partition from a media image or repair a filesystem image, run:
- testdisk image.dd to create a raw disk image
- testdisk image.E01 to recover files from an Encase EWF image
- testdisk ‘image.???’ if the Encase image is split into several files.
For more, read TestDisk step by step