Pidgin Internet Messenger version 2.9.0 was released on Jun 23, with following changes(read changelog):
- Fix a potential remote denial-of-service bug related to displaying buddy icons.
- Significantly improved performance of larger IRC channels (regression introduced in 2.8.0).
- Fix Conversation->Add on AIM and MSN.
- Entries in the chat user list are sorted properly again. This was inadvertenly broken in 2.8.0.
- Fix logging in to ICQ.
- media: Actually use the specified TCP port from the TURN configuration to create a TCP relay candidate.
- AIM and ICQ
- Fix crashes on some non-mainstream OSes when attempting to printf(“%s”, NULL). (Clemens Huebner) (#14297)
- The Evolution Integration plugin compiles again.
Installation in Ubuntu
Pidgin 2.9.0 source code is here, you can download and build from source.
If you’d like the deb packages or upgrading from ppa, first check.
So far, it is not available in the Pidgin Developers PPA. So use following one as an alternative (amd64 users can download dev.deb and data.deb packages from i386 build for same Ubuntu release):