PlayOnLinux is a piece of sofware which allows you to easily install and use numerous games and softwares designed to run with Microsoft’s Windows such as WarcraftIII,World of Warcraft,The Age of Kings,AutoCAD,IE,and so forth.
Few games are compatible with GNU/Linux at the moment and it certainly is a factor preventing the migration to this system. PlayOnLinux brings an accessible and efficient solution to this problem, cost-free and rescpetful of the free softwares.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of the interesting points to know:
* You don’t have to own a Windows® license to use PlayOnLinux.
* PlayOnLinux is based on Wine, and so profits from all its possibilities yet it keeps the user away from its complexity while exploiting some of its advanced functions.
* PlayOnLinux is a free software.
* PlayOnLinux uses Bash and Python
Nevertheless, PlayOnLinux has some defects, as every piece of software:
* Occasional performances decrease (image may be less fluid and graphics less detailed).
* Not all games are supported. Nevertheless, you can use our manual installation module.
Open up terminal(Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and add repository:
For ubuntu 9.04:
sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_jaunty.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
For ubuntu 8.10:
sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
For ubuntu 8.04:
sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
Update and install:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install playonlinux
Alternatively,download the .deb package from here and click to install,or use this command:
sudo dpkg -i PlayOnLinux_3.7.deb
Launch playonlinux from Applications->Games->PlayonLinux.
When you first start PlayOnLinux, you will need to download updates.In order to install applications, click the Install button in main window.
Then select a program/game in following window and click Apply.If you are unable to find the application you want, you may want to refresh the local list of applications by clicking the “Refresh the repository” button. This will make sure you have the latest available scripts.
Once,the program or game properly installed.Choose it ang click Run in main window to start.