VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
After VLC 2.0 “Twoflower”, the 2.0.1 version was released few days ago, with following specific changes (release note):
- Support for MxPEG files and streams
- New features in the Mac OS X interface for more customization
- Numerous fixes in the Qt, the Mac OS and the skins interfaces.
- Fixes for HTTP Live Streaming, CDDB, UDP/RTP support.
- Security issues SA-1201 and SA-1202.
- Limited support for Bluray discs menus.
- Numerous fixes for MKV support.
- Fix for splitted RAR files playback.
- Numerous fixes for more than 120 bugs.
- Codec and 3rd party libraries security updates.
VLC is available by default in Ubuntu Software Center, and this version will be updated soon.
Ubuntu 12.04 and 11.10 user can install and keep the latest version from PPA, execute following commands in a terminal window:
sudo add-apt-repositorysudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install vlc