Banshee media player has released version 2.6.0 with lots of improvement, new features and bug fixes. This simple tutorial is going to show you how to install the latest Banshee 2.6.x in Ubuntu 12.04, 11.10, 11.04, and 10.10 using PPA.
New features in Banshee 2.6:
- Lots of improvement on OS X
- LastFM: Add device scrobbling support
- File management options are now specific to each source
- LargeTrackInfoDisplay: Display track rating in “Now Playing” view
- MassStorage: Support the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android phone
- Re-enable the AAC audio profile
- ThickClient: Append ‘Banshee’ to window title
- MassStorage: Support reading playlists from multiple folders
- Last.fm: Switch to 2.0 API for scrobbling and improve error handling
- LastFM: Remove invalid tracks from the queue after a scrobbling error
- Mpris: Add CanSetFullscreen and Fullscreen properties
- Replace custom volume widget with gtk’s VolumeButton
- Improved threading in some areas around GUI manipulation
Install banshee 2.6.x from PPA:
To get started, open Ubuntu Software Center, navigate to Edit -> Software Sources… -> Other Software tab, click Add button and input ppa:banshee-team/ppa, click Add Source . This will add Banshee Team PPA to your repository.
Then search for and open Update Manger from the dash, then click on Check button to update cache.
Now re-open Ubuntu Software Center, search for Banshee and scroll down to check if it is the latest version, then install it.
You can also install Banshee with 3 commands in terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:banshee-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install banshee