Appgrid is a lightweight Ubuntu Software Center alternative. Here’s how to install it on Ubuntu via PPA repository.
- discover new apps every time you open App Grid,
- search, filter and sort to find exactly what you’re looking for,
- make informed decisions with our extensive detail views,
- sign in with your Ubuntu One account to review and purchase apps.
A few little technical comparisons between App Grid and the Software Center stack:
- python3 vs python2,
- warm start to home screen is 2.7s vs 20s,
- warm start to details screen (eg opening an apt: link) is 2.3s vs 30s,
- full database build is 58s vs 6min24,
- initial database size is 36.7mb vs 96.5mb,
- memory usage after startup to home screen is 20mb vs 53.6mb,
- lines of code is somewhere around 5900 loc vs 56960 loc (incl tests etc).
To install Appgrid in Ubuntu, press Ctrl+Alt+T to open terminal. Then run following commands one by one:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:appgrid/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install appgrid