GNOME Commander is a free two pane file manager in the tradition of Norton and Midnight Commander, it is built on the GTK-toolkit and GnomeVFS. GNOME Commander aims to fulfill the demands of more advanced users who like to focus on file management, their work through special applications and running smart commands. This program is not aimed at users wanting the weather forecast in a sidebar in their file manager…
- GTK-2 GUI with standard mouse interactions.
- GNOME mime types (MIME-Type management under development).
- FTP using GnomeVFS ftp module.
- SAMBA access.
- Right click mouse menu with the usual file operations to run, open, open with.., delete or rename files and folders, and also to set properties like ownership and permissions.
- Mouse context menu that easily can be extended by entries calling any kind of external application like viewers, editors or custom scripts to work on selected files or directories.
- Quick device access buttons with automatic mounting and unmounting (“no-mount” option for just quick access to folders or otherwise automounted devices).
- Latest accessed folder history.
- Folder bookmarks.
- Plugin support under development.
- Fast file viewer for text, images and image meta data (Exif and IPTC).
- Tools for searching, quick file name search in current dir, symlinking, comparing directories. …
- A tool for advanced renaming of files supporting various types of meta-data.
- Integrated command line.
GNOME Commander is available in Ubuntu universe repository by default(install it via ubuntu software center), but it might be old.
For the latest version, download the source code from its homepage: http://www.nongnu.org/gcmd/download.html