Arista Transcoder is an easy to use multimedia transcoder for the GNOME Desktop. Arista focuses on being easy to use by making the copmlex task of encoding for various devices simple. Pick your input, pick your target device (Android, Apple, PSP, DVD player, etc.), choose a file to save to and go. Features include automatic discovery of DVD media and V4L devices, ripping from DVD, V4L devices, or files, a live quality preview, and included presets for the most popular devices currently in use.
- Presets for Android, Apple iPhone/iPod, computer, DVD player, PSP, Playstation 3, and more
- Live preview to see encoded quality
- Automatically discover available DVD media and Video 4 Linux (v4l) devices
- Rip straight from DVD media easily (requires libdvdcss)
- Rip straight from v4l devices
- Simple terminal client for scripting
- Automatic preset updating
Arista Transcoder is available in Ubuntu Software Center.
Arista is written in Python and requires the bindings for GTK+ 2.16 or newer, GStreamer, GConf, GObject, Cairo, and DBus. This means you need to be using at least Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty). The GStreamer plugins required depend on the presets available, but at this time you should have gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-ugly, and gst-ffmpeg. If you are on Ubuntu don’t forget to install the multiverse packages.
Arista on Launchpad:
Arista’s project page: http://programmer-art.org/projects/arista-transcoder